Saturday, April 4, 2009

Where for art thou...

For those of you have been following my blog you know my history with The Montgomery Humane Society. You know I want to take home each and every stray I see, but have just enough rational to know I cannot provide the home I would like for 100 dogs. After my last encounter with the Montgomery Humane Society, I thought maybe, just maybe things had gotten better over there. I actually physically saw improvement, but was once again a bit discouraged this morning when I was told I was not allowed to take pictures of adoptable dogs (even if the purpose of the picture is to try and get him adopted!!!). The Dog-U-Tante Ball was just too good to be true.

That’s right. I said Dog-U-Tante Ball. Last night I had the pleasure of attending the 11th Annual Dig-U-Tante Ball at The Renaissance Hotel. This is an annual fundraiser hosted by the Montgomery Humane Society working to raise money for the shelter and place dogs in appropriate homes. It is such a great idea, really.

First, I need to go on record by saying I DO NOT agree with dressing up your pets. God made them perfect just the way they are, and if animals could talk, they would cuss you out if you dressed them up. Exhibit A was on stage last night when each dog dried to scratch out of their costumes. I’m just sayin’.

Anyway, the event was great. All of the adoptable dogs were walked around all night and I could tell many hearts were stolen by these angels. I know mine was. Sweet Romeo took my heart and ran all the way down the hall with it!



Have you ever seen such a pink nose on a dog before? I’m not sure if this picture is doing him justice, but it was PINK. I know I cannot provide this pup with an appropriate home right now, so I want to help him get his little face out there. Romeo is sweet as can be. He will lie in your arms and is extremely content. He is trained and still has a lot of growing to do. From the looks of his legs, he will be quite a tall and handsome dog. I think his personality will allow him to learn very quickly and become a fantastic hunting dog….just so long as he gets treated like a pet too.

Do not be discouraged, this Romeo is not without a Juliet. Juliet is Romeo’s sister (a little odd if you think about it, I know) and she is up for adoption at the Montgomery Humane Society as well. I did not get to meet her last night but word is they are identical. If I could, I would take them both and they would be the best two side kicks I could ask for. Man, they sure would look good on my boat!

All in all, the event was, in my eyes, successful for the Humane Society. They had a good crowd, a lot of bids on their silent auction items and you could see people going wild over the adoptable dogs. One thing I did not understand was that the “lead out” portion of the event focused on dogs that have homes and the adoptable ones were walked out at the end. I would think the adoptable dogs are the ones who need to be on display, but again, they did not ask me.

Help me find Romeo and Juliet a home to save their little loves from ending in tragedy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Look at the sweet baby! He kinda looks like a great dane mix. Sure would love to add him to our family and his sister!! Please picture Chris if I told him I was bringing not 1 but 2 dogs home... ahahha! What a fun day and I'm sad I missed it! Montgomery may be coming around after all... wait, that may be pushing it ;) Miss you!

Megan Watson said...

Searcy, I am like you. I have rescued 2 dogs in the last 2 years and through working with Save-a-Pet, have found them homes. Mind you, we have 2 cats and this is a hassle, since we have to keep them separated :) But to see them jump and play when adopted is all worth it!!! I think Dog-u-tante is so funny and a good idea, maybe dothan will catch on :)