Thursday, April 16, 2009

WDW Day 2

Disclaimer: actual names have been changed for privacy purposes.

Mountains were moved today, Girls, and my feet feel as if they have climbed each and every one of them! Debbie, the shoes may be cute, but if you plan on walking for 12 hours straight, I suggest you just take them off.

So the amazin Conference Services Manager showed up this morning to greet me and tell me nothing about the program. She did have all of the correct Park Hopper passes and Disney Dollars to hand over, but if I wanted to ask her anything else today, I was out of luck. She made sure I knew she had a full plate with other clients and would only be available at 2:30 pm during our pre-con.

I noticed that if I wanted to use the internet in the convention center and in my room on the same day, I still have to pay two separate 24 hour fees for each location ($10 each may I add). So, I asked my Conf. Services Manager if there was anything we could do about it. I am pretty sure you can see where that went. Blank stare. Awkward silence. I guess I simply asked too much. What on Earth was I thinking? I mean, I am only bringing in over 240 room nights, 179 people with disposable income and two large events with over 170 food and beverage guarantees each. So they really must need those double charges for internet fees to make up for all the money they are going to lose while they are sold out this week. I can understand that. Sure.

Then swept in our very own Angel Elizabeth. Debbie told me she would shape up that Conf. Services Manager of mine and she sure did. Liz made a fantastic introduction at the pre-con and was even able to talk the staff into rolling the 8 foot table full of fruit into our hospitality room. She then approached the internet issue with the Conf. Services Manager in front of the pre-con meeting. When she received the same response as I had, Liz let the silence set in and at the right time she went in for the kill. Calm before the storm I tell ya. She looked those department heads right in the eyes and said, “Well, that needs to change. How can we do that?” I literally had to look down and pretend I was writing something very important. Next thing I know Liz has changed the entire internet process for meeting planners. So if you ever plan on hosting a meeting at Coronado Springs, you now have a private internet code so you have free internet anywhere. Mountain number one.

Mountain number two may be a bit more of a shocker for you all. Are you ready? Do you think you can handle this one? Debbie and Trish, get a fresh cup of coffee for this one. Marrilee, take a hit of your shaker, and Amy, run to the bathroom real fast. We can wait.

Drum roll…….As soon as the bottles of water arrived and were ready for stuffing, "Mr. I Only Pretent To Work" arrived. Not only did he actually show up, he worked. He took command and executed the task at hand within 20 minutes. It was as if I saw the sea parting in HD. I could not believe my eyes.

Of course I cannot end this day’s recap without mention of mountain number three. You girls were so awesome to help me out today with Mike’s flight changes. I would like to quote Amy in saying you all were “on it like white on rice.” Thank you! I was actually able to call the airline myself and re-arrange the flights without totally screwing everything up. Maybe there is a travel agent somewhere deep inside of me. Deep, deep inside of me.

Have you ever noticed that everyone here is named Juan or Jose? Oh, and EVERYONE speaks another language. I find myself listening to people’s conversations just to try and see what their accent sounds like or if I can decipher what they are trying to say in their foreigness. It is so cool to not speak English. I am serious! I keep looking at people in awe as I eavesdrop on their conversations. Now, if I had actually taken advantage of all the money my parents dished out on my college prepatory high school, then I could have some sort of second language to impress people with, but I guess I will just have to stick to eavesdropping.

Well, Ladies, that is all for today. My dogs are barkin’.

No comments: