Thursday, April 9, 2009

Go Your Own Way

Oh selfishness, why have you consumed me?
These past few years have been great together.
We have lived and loved and when we got bored,
We just picked up and left without another word.

We never considered others in our decisions
Or even thought it mattered to them.
How blind you have made me to what real life is like.

I have focused on my wants and needs
So I could have the life I wanted -
The life I knew would make me whole.

Absorbing the lyrics and the rhythm of Music City.
Feeling the cool of the waves around my shoulders.
All of it was what I was striving to make for myself,
But what is it all really, when you cannot share it?

I’m sorry selfishness, but this must be the end.
I would say we could still be friends,
But we both know that will never work.
You have tried to make me someone I am not,
And I will no longer crumble to your deceiving charm.

So leave me alone in this big world,
Because everything I need is already here.
It has been behind me and been beside me.
Even when I refused it.
It was here….waiting.

No comments: