Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Oh The Tangled Web We Weave

I was at Tomatino’s Pizza the other night enjoying a nice hour long PBR with some friends as we waited for our table (the only table that can sit over four people may I add). I was admiring all of the artwork they have for sale on the walls. They have anything from realistic works to a more abstract image that may remind you of a weird dream you once had, but bottom line is they are all pretty cool in their individual ways.

Then I saw the tiny little sheet of paper underneath each piece stating the requested price. I was astonished. I know how much it does NOT cost to create a painting. I mean, yes, some canvases are more expensive and paints can take a paycheck, but not these. Even if they did use the nicer paints, the canvas was only about 8x8 to maybe 12x12. Seriously, you can get these in packs of three for under $10 at Hobby Lobby. Oh, and you use the same paints on each painting! These prices would have covered your paint cost for an entire series in the selling of one piece of work.

The prices were not outlandish in theory, but for these paintings, I would say they could be negotiated down and still make a pretty penny. So, I got to thinking. I paint. I am not all that good, but I paint and I like them. I could definitely use some extra money to move along the “moving out of my parent’s house” project. So, I made a little call this afternoon and left a message to see what I can do about maybe getting some of my paintings on the wall.

Now, the only hill I have to get over is the idea of losing my paintings. I have this attachment to them, and I am terrified I will never see them again once they are sold. Each painting has a place on my wall so it can let the whole world see it (me). They have been the color that makes my home pretty and the uniqueness that has made my home mine. They cover my room now, making me relax when I walk in the door. So, I am supposed to let some stranger take them and I will never get to see them again or enjoy their presence again? It will be like they were never created and never existed. Oh the drama!

Now, just because a painting could end up on the wall at Tomatino’s Pizza does not guarantee it will sell. They may even put them up there and just take them all down again in a month only to be returned to my room. Now, I would be OK with that, but then you know I would be mad nobody liked them. So then I would just have to go eat worms. Again, drama.

So, you see where I am getting this web from? I get all tied up in things and then have a really hard time letting them go. Even though I know I can live with out them and once they are gone I get over it pretty fast. But still, it is a web and I made it. So now I have to untangle it, so that maybe I could make some money.

No comments: