Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mari Michael

Many times I have referred to my “List of Things To Do In Life”. I have found that some of these wants come more easily than others, yet accomplishing those more difficult wants brings more of a rush and element of confidence.

Among the many ludicrous dreams listed, I do have some that reach deep into the roll I really want to play in this world. I want to write a book. To be able to capture the essence of a story and its emotions in words and colors speaks immeasurable wonders to me, and I want to speak it to you.

A good friend of mine has a soul I envy and a mind I desire. She is one of the most captivating individuals I know and each time I talk to her or read her words, she moves me and chills me. To me, the process of writing a book is just that, a process. Meaning, it will take years to understand the curves and soul of the story I want to tell and how I want to tell it. It will take time and money to communicate this story to someone who can print it for me and lay it all out so that is comes together as one entity speaking to many. I want to be sure each line is heard and each page is perfectly portraying my image. Sometimes I just think too much.

Over the past eight months Mari Michael has traveled through three continents and 19 countries to find herself in Cairo, Egypt. She has been bursting with imagines and ideas through observations. When she started journaling her experiences, I told her she had to write some sort of travel guide when she returned home, but she has far exceeded my expectations. She has taken her life for the past eight months and captured it in the purest form of emotion and has written a book. She has managed to accomplish what I only dream to accomplish before I die! Again, chills me.

You have to read this. The knowledge and the perspectives you will gain is astonishing. You will be moved to look at the world from angles you have never known. As a writer I see the world in words and colors and that is how I observe emotion. As an architect, Mari Michael sees the world in textures and patterns. Combining these two perspectives has at times felt a little overwhelming for me to take in at once, but I want to do it again and again. There are so many stories in this world to be told and so many objects that hold them. Now the challenge is hearing the stories and capturing their movement to reflect it back to you.

Mari Michael, I hope by reading this you get a sense of motivation that you are doing the right thing. Your path in life is strong and bountiful. God has blessed you with your intellect and ability to express it. God has blessed us, for allowing us to hear it. Thank you.

Zoom: A Travel Documentary Through Texture

Mari Michael’s blog

No comments: