Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Support Your Words

There are many words in the English language that have powerful meaning, but are used so frequently and so casually, that they seem to somehow lose their full definition or intent. Let me give you one example.

The word “support” is used for multiple purposes. It can be the brick and mortar that holds up a building, a friend who cries when you cry, or a sports team. For me, the word “support” is unbelievably powerful, and I am constantly thanking people for their support. The heartbreaking part about this is they never really know what I mean. They don’t really know what they did to support me. They know what they think they did to support me, but most of the time; this word means more than the casserole someone brought over when a loved one dies or the bed they made for me when I was out of a home. So, I haven’t actually properly thanked them.

Over the past month, I have had floods of support. My parents, sister, and friends have listened when I cried. They have said all the right and wrong things to try and keep my spirits up. They have sent out my resume to every person they have ever known, and have sent me job applications for anything from Special Events Director to bellman! These people know the pain in my heart, they know the sadness and fear I wake up to each day and they know the spirit in me that needs to be uncovered again.

So, I am trying to make it a point that I actually thank each of these people for not only the actions they have taken for me, but the feelings they have instilled in me. I want each person to know what they have actually done to impact my life at this moment. I don’t want them walking away from me with a simple, “Thanks for your support” in their hand. It all goes back to “do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.”

Make others feel the greatness they make you feel. Express yourself and your words.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

SO very well said.

but, I do love support in the form of a good casserole. yes ma'am, I do.
...just sayin.


*ps: my word verification is "fartmi"....whaaaa?