Sunday, October 12, 2008

Calling all Carnies!!!!

Once upon a time in a far away land I was the town Ringmaster. Every year I was responsible for putting together a weekend for locals and visitors alike to come and enjoy live music, eat anything fried, and purchase all possible decorations for your yard from gnomes, to metal herons, to wood carved dolphins. This was a weekend for any and all people to come out wearing whatever clothes they wanted, if any. It really does feel good to know that all my hard work and dedication to this circus made so many people feel comfortable enough to leave their dentures at home.

As a ringmaster you learn to become one with the life of the carnies, and while the big top is still up, you must allow yourself to become one, too. Well, my big top came down a few years ago and I decided to take some time away from town Ringmaster and move upward in this world. So, I moved to a town where i surrounded myself with Loser's. :)

Anyway, this weekend I was able to actually become a vendor at my local town's Big Top. For the first time, I got to sit back and actually take in all that you may see at a circus like this. I captured the scenery in my sketch book, but the fashion was only meant for the camera.

Enjoy.......

Oh where do I start on her? Cletus and Lou Anne decided to make their annual outing to the circus. Obviously he doesn't care to be seen, so he wore his best camo. This shirt works better than the sleeveless one. Lou Anne here has her fanny pack in check and once she gets the air flowing through the bottom of her pants, she is ready to go.



Now Grammy here, is taking a break to enjoy her Smirnoff Ice while she taps her foot to the beat of a country rock band. Nothing says Redneck Mothers, like long pleated shorts. At least she matches and wore her finest jewels to the Big Top.

Watch out for Herbie and the General Lee. They have been at this motorized wheel chair thing for a while and well, all I have to say is The General was not too happy when Herbie ran over her foot in the funnel cake line.
Just takin' a break here in the shade honey. I will be fine over here by the beer booth. These nice young men will take real good care of me, don't you worry your little head. Now go on and get Grandma that jeweled plant hanger we say a few miles back. I promise I won't drink a thing.


Words cannot describe the cut off demin capris on this sweet old man. I guess the tractor broke down on his way to the circus and the walk just got to be too much.


This little girl is who I aspire to be. Some of you have seen me try. She has allowed herself to become lost in the sounds of the Cajun Rock Band. God love her.


Of course there is an understood rule that if you do NOT go to the gym, you lose the ability to wear your shirt at the circus.



I had no idea that wearing all the same color had come back in style. Now where did I put my neon outfits and t-shirt ties?


Ok, I must admit, I don't think twice about going barefoot to the FloraBama, but come on. I wonder if they used the port-o-potties.



By the way, this is for REAL my new boyfriend. I mean who can't resist the royal blue onesie? But I am not sure he knows exactly where he is. He did try to agrue that the sun rises in the North and sets in the South and that he gets up early to milk his chickens every day. I'm not to sure if he will be able to provide for me so I best keep looking.


Now I am going to miss all my old chums here at the Big Top. Come Monday all the trailors will be packed and the RVs will set off into the sunset taking this Carnival to the next town.


I believe Randy Rogers said it best when he sang: "The ringmasters night gets lonely after the Big Top comes down. Cause I go from being somebody to just another clown when the circus leaves town."

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Best Post Ever!!
I loved every single bit of it...'cept for the part where you leave the "Losers" behind :(

Seriously, all these people in one place at one time?!?
...I'm going to have to go with the barefeet and pleated shorts being my favorite!

Your carnie dreams have finally come true!

Tracy Williford said...

umm, are you making fun of my family? Cause Unkie Steve totally has no teeth(aka refuses to wear his dentures) and Pa used to wear onsies every day. (and yes, they were blue.)
I always did like those t-shirt ties. Damn sorry I missed this par-tay.

Unknown said...

SERIOUSLY... enough said.