Sunday, January 10, 2010

San Diego, CA - Travel Day 2

You can look at the description of my blog just above this and see that I want a lot of things in life. I want to be so many different thing when I grow up. Someone must have told the San Diego PRA this, because they literally took me from one extreme want to the other throughout the day. I started out as a trendy roof top event manager, to finding my hot military husband, to again being Lauren Conrad at the Grand Del Mar, to being number 14 for Tiger at Torry Pines, to having exclusive rights to a property even the President has to get approval on, to feeling the power of controlling a large sailing vessel, to standing on home plate of the Padres diamond. Which way do I go!!??

Claudia and Andrea from the San Diego PRA are amazing!!! There is no possible way anyone could be able to manage any type of event in San Diego and it be anywhere near what these two can make it. Our day was packed from 9 am to 6 pm and I was not ready for it to be over. I even learned that by working with PRA, after a certain amount of time employed there, you get a 6 week sabbatical. Umm Liz?

Here are the places we experienced and a little bit about them. Of course I have detailed pictures and even more notes on them, but this should give you an overview.

Diamond View Terrace:
This is a quaint and trendy roof top venue that overlooks the Petco Park (Padres' Stadium). You can see just about everything San Diego has to offer from this roof top and the outside fire places and furniture make it an ideal place to watch the game. The walls are made out of the same leather baseball mitts are made of and the ceiling even turns into an abstract baseball when lit up. Is has a classy baseball theme, but you could even host an event there and not have the baseball theme in your face.

Miramar Military Base:
I was blown away. Mainly because I have never seen a military base this up close. This military base is one of the two in the country that allow events to be held on the base, as this is also where they filmed the infamous Top Gun movie with Tom Cruise. So we walked through the ballroom and the patio and even the Officer's Club. There is so much character and respect here, your heart is kind of clinched the whole time. Then they took us out to the hangers. They have done some amazing events here using fighter planes and cargo helicopters as static displays. You can also request to have an officer seated at each table so as to engage in conversation about the aircraft and the base.

The Grand Del Mar:
O.M.G I do not even know what I did to be able to set foot in a place like this. I think I saw Al Pacino in the lobby. The Grand Del Mar has a Tuscan flare, and when I say "flare" I mean I was in Tuscany. The entrances, the doors and the railings were dipped in gold, the ballroom was designed after a Catholic church and the furniture.....ohhh the furniture. Everything was oversized and dark stained wood and their were fireplaces everywhere you turned. I am really not doing this any justice, but when the host tells you this is where high end celebs go to get away from the paparazzi, you feel like you have made it.

Torrey Pines:
I saw Barry Bonds. Well, he was on property while I was there. This is a great venue for golfers and the like. It is famous for its PGA Tour and Tiger Woods' membership. If you have a big golfing group headed out to San Diego, you cannot put them anywhere else. Torrey Pines is the best golf experience you can give your guests.

Evans' Garage:
So when we first heard of this venue on the itinerary, we tried to scratch it to give us some more time. This is exactly why you cannot create a better experience here than PRA can. This was not the place to scratch. Mr. Evans owns Torrey Pines and many other properties in San Diego. He also owns one of the most expensive and exclusive car collections in the world. This garage is no museum and in order to host an event here, you must be approved. Only corporate groups are allowed here and there is no local selling of the venue. Tracy who is the event manager and is someone I want to keep in my pocket. Her taste will always be better than mine.

America:
No not the country, but the America's Cup race boat. I have never known much about sailing but I certainly got a great taste of it aboard the America. This boat has been restored into a top notch sailing vessel. With all hard wood stained flooring and an Australian accent walking me through my sailing experience, I was in love. I walked to the back of the boat and stood with my hands on the wheel. As I looked up I could see the whole boat and I could feel the power of controlling this enormous vessel. To be in control of something so large in something so powerful as the ocean is what I imagine to be the Meca. After I got over my own selfish needs of the America, I saw it as an exceptional event venue for dining, whale watching and even a quick cocktail reception on the way to dinner.

Petco Park:
Oh I love baseball stadiums. There are so many cool things you can do there for groups and clients. Petco park definitely caters to this with the Sony Dugout Club House, private batting cages, Roof Top experiences, and Fantasy Baseball on the field, everyone will have fun - baseball fan or not.

As we entered the Padre's Stadium, the sun was going down on San Diego. It was breath taking. You can never get tired of a neon sunset. Not in my book.






No comments: