Sunday, January 10, 2010

San Diego, CA - Travel Day 1

Again, let us all remember I have only been on an airplane a handful of times and most of those times where when I was younger, so needless to say security and packing has changed. But I did really good this time. I had all my stuff in the checked bag and only a few small liquid items in my little plastic bags. I sailed through security, thank goodness. I really thought with all the new security they would have flagged the name "Yoder", but I was pleasantly wrong.

What I did not sail through easily was the Montgomery airport without knowing someone with every turn. Really? It is 5:45 am, why are you here? Between Liz and myself, we knew just about every passenger on the flight to Dallas-Ft. Worth. Apparently there was a group of 20 headed to Mexico to hop on a cruise ship with a local travel agent Liz knows. Half of the travelers either go to my church or knew me growing up.

Of course we cannot go anywhere without drawing attention to our selves so before we take off they come over the intercom looking for Liz as they did not notice her boarding pass was located on the back of mine; therefore, she was not accounted for on the plane. I mean, we walked right past you. It is 6:30 am in Montgomery, there was not an overwhelming crowd. So anyway, after I had to holler my last name down the aircraft at the attendant, even more acquaintances piped up. A couple sitting diagonally behind me immediately asked if I was Alicia Yoder's daughter. Of course, did you hear the way I talk? They used to live across the street from me growing up. I even had someone stand up from the back of the plane and walk up saying, "Hey Searcy, remember me? Johnny from car pool?" Really? I thought Liz was going to laugh herself unconscious. Who does that happen to?

Do not even think for one second that we had to suffer through a two hour lay over in the common area of the Dallas-Ft. Worth airport. When you are with Liz Sutton, somehow you magically end up relaxed in the Admiral's Club lounge. The place where your rear is cradled in a cloud. After a quick hug of Debbie's neck and a salad as large as my carry on, we were off.

I was lucky enough to sit next to a flight attendant from San Diego, so when we landed, or rather, when we had to circle the San Diego area before we landed, she was very helpful in pointing out everything in the city. It really was a treat. She even said if I looked closely I may see a whale breaching in the ocean. Even with my face plastered to the window like the 4 year old in front of me, no breaching was seen.

We landed in what the pilot announced as 77 degree weather, but in the clothes we had on after coming from weather in the 20's, we felt more like it was 87 degrees here. We also quickly realized we did not pack accordingly as our host said it would be in the mid to higher 60's. I immediately had to go shopping for new shoes when we arrived at the Hotel Del Coronado, or as they call it in short "The Del". Darn, emergency shopping, the trip was ruined.

The property is exceptional and much to my disappointment this is not where they filmed the summer series of Saved By The Bell when they worked at the beach club. No Mr. Carosi. The view is unimaginable and the property has a lot of character. Parts of the service were perfect, but of course there were others who needed some help. We had an outstanding tour of the property and I have loads of pictures.

We decided to walk to our dinner location just down the way. The hotel is located on what is referred to as Coronado Island and you can basically walk anywhere. Once we arrived at the restaurant we were greeted at the bottom of the stairs by a gentleman in a suit stating, "Good evening ladies, are you ready for your dinner?" I mean, was he waiting for me? Was the entire island notified these VIPs from Alabama would be here and must be treated as royalty? No, because after he lead me to the hostess stand, he went back out and greeted the next guest the same way. Darn, I thought I was Lauren Conrad.

Of course the day could not end with out a roaring Roll Tide. That is right, I am an Auburn fan but Liz Sutton is not. She said Roll Tide to everyone in the Montgomery Airport where she received a chorus of "Dat's rite"s. We were sitting in the bar of The Del when all of a sudden we were surrounded by Alabama fans. Somehow Liz met every Alabama fan within 2o feet after 5 minutes of being there. She has pixie dust.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

I love Coronado! We stayed at that same hotel once and a smaller boutique hotel a little further down another time. Hope you get to take in a little sunshine through all the work!

Hope it all goes wonderfully!!!

Unknown said...

LOL funny! I'm jealous...

Erin Merrill said...

We enjoyed the post card...hope you are having a good time!