Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Recession Reality

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2 (NIV)

I love clicking on Kat’s blog every day, because there is always a new bible verse. Some I read in the rush of the day and realize later on that I did not hear them, but some are just what I need to hear even if I do not know it. When I first read this I breezed through it like another mindless step in my daily routine, but something caught me and I re-read it. I just felt like I could breathe once I heard what it was saying. This verse from Romans is exactly how I have been feeling over the past few months.

Ever since being laid off and having my eyes opened to the hardships of our Recession, I have battled the difference between my dreams and what others define as reality. I have mentioned in previous blog postings that I have a variety of dreams as well as ever changing dreams. Every day I am faced with the challenge of either holding on to them or letting go. I have seen what life is like when you let go, and I do not want that, any of it.

Reading this verse helped me understand that you can still dream in an economy today. As a matter of fact, I believe if we all keep a firm grasp on our dreams, we may see some good prevail.

I have been very fortunate to have a supportive family. I know there are many other people who may not have the support or abilities I do, but on the other hand there are plenty of people who have many more opportunities and abilities than I do to help them obtain their wants and needs. I just cannot focus on what other people have, because then I lose sight on what I have - on what I can do for myself.

I may not be able to become everything I want to be when I grow up, but I sure am going to head that way. Focusing on my satisfaction and fulfillment in every day life is really what I am going for. The funny thing is…I am not really sure what that is. I guess I will find out.

Learn something new every day.
(Thank you for drilling that in my head, Mom. You are definitely on to something here.)

4 comments:

Kat said...

Well, i'm excited to be mentioned in your blog and that you are getting something out of the scripture of the day.

But also, I want to say... "Right on, girl!"

It's not always, or maybe even never about where we are in life, it's about where we're going.

I love the statement, "Focusing on my satisfaction and fulfillment in every day life is really what I am going for".....I think that is the way we all need, and must live our lives!

Tracy Williford said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you! Thank you for spending as much with me as you have! You have made my journey much easier!

Kat said...

Yes!! We seriously need to hang out. I know i keep saying i'm gonna call you. But seriously, i would love to come hang out and enjoy the spring with you! Are you going to be moving soon?

Laurel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.