Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Wake Up Rip

I honestly feel like Rip Van Winkle. It is like I just woke up and don’t remember the past few weeks or maybe even months.

I have been working my tail off for my wine festival in FL this past weekend. I have been over worked, my confidence has been bruised and my positive attitude has been stretched. But what I learned from this past six months is to get over myself. Time for an ego check.

A volunteer came up to me early one morning when we were setting up and started asking me all about the festival and my job. I was worried about where the rest of my volunteers were and thinking only about the tasks I had to accomplish in the next 2 hours so naturally (for me) I was rude. I gave short answers and didn’t smile at her. She started asking if this was all I did all year, like a f***ing ant could do my job. I was ready to tell her what a bad ass I was until I looked at her. She looked at me in amazement and said, “You get to do this for a living?”

Well, hell, she got me. Guess what Searcy, not everyone is judging you when they ask about your life and you do have an amazing job whether you are good at it or not. After she said this, I stopped and looked around my event site and it looked completely different to me. It looked like a blessing, luck. Whatever you want to call it, it was me.

Every day I wake up and walk into an office where you don’t meet a receptionist. Each person is different, but the one thing we have in common is our shoes stay under our desks. We laugh until we cry, and we bicker until we laugh. The pieces of my puzzles include wine, food, and forklifts. Where else on earth could I find a job that allows me to rub elbows with some of the most well known chefs and community leaders in the South and drive a 26ft Penske in the same day? (If you don’t know me, the driving the 26 ft Penske part is one of my favorites!!)

So it is time to wake up, Rip. Life is only getting better.

2 comments:

Tracy Williford said...

Glad you got a reality check! Mine sometimes come in the strangest forms. Divine Intervention if you ask me. keep loving yourself, cause you know I do!

pallie said...

Sometimes it is really easy to get bogged down in the negative and forget all the great things in our life! And sometimes, it does take a shocking reality check to bring us back down to earth.

Love you!