Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fast and Free

"If I could get started in the right direction
I might just get to where I want to go
But my heart beats like a rhythm section
I've got to tell myself to take it slow

And it's a good thing how you want to be anxious
And it's a good thing your getting ready to roll
But nothing that was every worth while, child
Came fast and free to my soul" -Tab Benoit

These are the lyrics of a musician whose music has the tendency to stay in your soul long after the song is over. I frequently find myself tapping my feet to his songs playing in my head while I sit in my quiet office, attempting to work.

The real beauty of this song is that it can make me keep its beat on my steering wheel while slapping me across the face at the same time. Seriously. I have been in love with this song for months now and just heard what it had to say the other night.

Of all people in this world I may be one of the most anxious. I always have a plan which must be executed precisely on time or my body is left feeling completely off balance. Whenever I get an idea in my head or figure out what it is I want, I have to act on it right then. I can never wait to do anything. I guess that is why I have moved states every year or so for the past three years!!

Point being, Tab is right on target. Although I am anxious and always ready to go, I have found that everything in my life that is fulfilling has been worth the wait. I have to admit there are plenty of things in my life I try to take control of myself, so God can take care of the bigger issues, but we all know it just simply doesn’t work this way.

It is moments like last Friday night when I finally heard the words to this song and understood why I loved it so much. It is one of those daily joys we all get but don’t always see, when God says, “Hey, I got this one too”.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Post Searcy!! I can't wait to hear the song... if only my 1985work computer had speakers! I LOVE when songs hit you like that... when you finally understand what the song means although you have been singing it at the top of your lungs for weeks. People always laught at me becuase of all the Cheesy songs I listen to but the words really mean something to me. Anyway Love and Miss you!!! See you soon!! WAHOOOOO