Sunday, August 9, 2009

Finally - A Good Rush

I got such a rush today and boy have I needed it! I absolutely love putting myself out there to try something new and even take a few risks. For the past few months I have just felt like I could not find a way to try something new or really take a chance, but that all changed today.

Earlier this week I got a call from Tomatino's Pizza here in Montgomery asking if I could bring in come pantings to place on the wall. I believe I wrote to you earlier how I was torn on the idea of trying to sell these masterpieces (yeah right), but after today I am all for it! So they called and asked if I could be there at 1pm on Sunday. In less than a week I got a whole business plan together for these paintings. I do not want to look like I am putting all of my eggs in one basket, but I want to be ready if something else comes of this. So of course the first order of business was business cards from Mom! As soon as she got the news, her little printer started working. She made me some really classy business cards for Paintings by Searcy Yoder. Nothing outrageous in the title, just simple and the way it is.

Caroline from Tomatino's was so nice to coach me through this process considering I had no idea how to price or even how much space was available. She said a guy backed out and she needed to fill some space. I was thinking I maybe had room for like 2 of my reguslar sized pieces and then I could fill in with some small ones, just to get started. Thank goodness I decided to take all of my pieces today, because they ALL made the wall!!! I was so excited when I walked in and did not see one piece on the walls. I could not help but think, "No way this is all my space", and I was right. Half of the restaurant was mine!!! Unreal.

So if you are hungry, go eat pizza. The restaurant is not too large, so you really cannot sit anywhere without sitting next to one of my paintings. The prices are very reasonable. You will see pieces ranging from $20 - $55 and they will be there until October 4th. Maybe one day I can charge over $100, but babysteps. I do not want to get too far ahead of myself.

At one point I was sitting on the back of the booth seat hanging up the last piece and I looked down the wall at all the little stories I painted. I laughed at the secrets they hold and felt a little sad. I felt like I was dropping off my child at college. They are all so grown up and out in the world on their own. I was leaving and felt like I needed to tell them goodbye, so of course I did when Caroline was not looking. It is sad to think I may not see them again, but I guess it would be even more sad if I did not sell any!! Grass is always greener. I guess there is not much risk here. If I fall on my face, I will be happy to bring them back home.

You can view the paintings at: http://picasaweb.google.com/searcyyoder/Paintings#
Keep a look out for a new link later on. I just got a Mac and not sure if I will still use Picasa or if it will change, but I will update ya!

I hope you like them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

SEARCY! I am so PROUD of you! This is great news and what confidence to put your work out for everyone to judge... not an easy feat! They look AWESOME on the wall... SERIOUSLY! I'm impressed! I can't wait to come home on the 21st, this is worth a trip into town. Hopefully, you will have one left for me to purchase! WAY TO GO!